Master of Arts
Chairperson (Advisor 1)
Dr. Kimora Kachelmyer
Reader (Advisor 2)
The purpose of the study is to examine various models of strategic planning inside and outside the arena of the church. An effective model that fits with the various leadership styles found in churches and that meets scriptural guidelines will be presented. Information Technology is relatively new to strategic planning, especially within churches. This study will include in its model presented, a method of integrating technology within the strategic planning process.
This study fills a gap in the area of strategic planning for religious institutions as most of today's church leadership literature focuses on the "visionary leader," the one who determines his church's calling and then communicates that vision to the church. The model is Moses receiving the Ten Commandments: he went up the mountain, heard from God, and came back down the mountain to communicate the vision and challenge people to follow (Exodus 19:20-20: 17). However, according to one study, only 30 percent of pastors are specially gifted with a clear sense of vision from the Lord (Ford, 2000). This study will present a model for the other 70 percent to lead their churches along God's path.
Recommended CitationCarpenter Rasmussen, W. R. (2001). Strategic Planning in the Local Church Using Spiritual Gifts (Thesis, Concordia University, St. Paul). Retrieved from https://digitalcommons.csp.edu/legacy-capstones_maom/102
Available when logged in with your CSP email address and password.
For users outside of the CSP community, use the "Request Access" button to submit a request for full text.