- Limited data exists on matriculation from an undergraduate program to a DPT program within the same institution.
- Academic advising and admissions influnce students' educational experiences and academic path throughout a student's education.
- Various marketing strategies exist to attract potential students to a graduate program.
- Investigate academic advisors' and admission staff knowledge, practice, and resources in regard to the DPT program within the same institution.
- Identify desired resources to optimize the connectedness between the undergraduate programs and DPT program in the same institution.
- 5 Academic Advisors
- 9 Admissions Staff Members
- Qualitative data collection via surveys and focus groups.
- Triangulation of data, coding, and development of themes.
- Action research strategies used to create tangible products and resources.
- Participants were neutral to somewhat confident in advising students on GPA, GRE, and prerequisite course requirements.
- Over 80 percent of the advisors and admissions staff were neutral to not confident in advising UG students on the unique features of the DPT program, demonstrating a need for additional resources and action (Figure 1).
- Participants expressed desire for resources to provide to UG students including informational sessions and tours, student testimonials, a DPT resource guide and training for staff (Figure 2.)
- Data revealed several opportunities to enhance the connection between stakeholder groups.
- Participants have rudimentary understanding of the institution's DPT program, but lacked depth and overall confidence.
- Based on results and literature, the following resources will be created:
- In-person and virtual informational sessions and tours
- Targeted Marketing
- Student testimonials
- DPT student brand ambassadors
- Additional tools and resources will augment participants' existing knowledge of the DPT program.
- A variety of marketing tools are recommended to attract students to the DPT program, including social media and virtual resources.
Vandenberg, Lyndsey PT, DPT, EdD; Brigger, Hannah; Jungmann, Amanda; Parkhurst, Nick; and Rohlik, Callie, "Enhancing the Connection Between Academic Advising, Admissions, and a DPT Program Within the Same Institution" (2021). DPT Capstone Posters. 13.